When: Sunday, April 14, 2019
Time: Registration starts at 11:00 a.m. and ends at noon. Please register early so we can start on time! Racing begins around 12:45 and ends around 4 pm.
The annual HPV Fun Day at Hellyer Park Velodrome has been held for over 25 years! The racing can be fast, but the emphasis is on fun! Newcomers are encouraged to join us and start with two low-stress events, the timed 200 meters and the Newcomers Race. We encourage women riders to experiment with racing in a safe, welcoming environment!
All types of bikes are welcome except for mountain bikes, bikes with no brakes and motorcycles of any kind. Electric bikes can compete in the 200 meters and their own race if there are 3 or more of you.
Race Categories: 1) Unfaired, 2) Partially Faired and 3) Open Class (velomobiles and other faired bikes).
- 200 meters (all categories) – one run per person/bike combination.
- Juniors Race (under age 16) – 3 laps.
- Newcomers Race – 4 laps – Open to people who haven’t entered a Fun Day race before.
- Miss and Out Race- Two heats based on 200 meter times.
- Other fun races we (or you) come up with
- 1/2 hour Race (all categories)
If you want to propose a race, contact Carole at email@example.com
Just Curious? If you want to ride on the track but don’t want to race, we have “Track Tryout” for $5 (cost of the insurance). You can ride the track before and between races (helmet required).
Cost: Costs for 2019 are (per rider):
- $10…Juniors (under age 16);
- $5…to just ride on the track between races (cost of insurance)
- $6…Parking: Pay for parking at the kiosk, as you enter the park.
There are no concessions at the park. Plan to bring your own food and water.
Print out the 2019 Fun Day Entry Form and bring it with you to the track! 2019 Entry Form
We suggest fill out the two required Track Waiver forms ahead of time and bring it with you . 2019 Velodrome Waiver forms All forms will also be available at the velodrome.
After Race We will again have a no-host social hour after the races at Back A Yard Caribbean Grill, 1101 Capitol Expressway, San Jose starting at 4:30 p.m. This place has rave reviews for its food and is close to the velodrome. See directions below.
* * * * * *
Numbers: You’ll receive a race number for each bike you will be riding (no extra charge for more than one bike). Numbers must be placed on the LEFT SIDE of the bike, preferably at the rear of the bike. Race officials must be able to see the number from the infield. (see picture samples below). Except for Track Try-out stickers, we don’t permit numbers on helmets. Lap counters will be looking at the bike, not the rider, for scoring purposes.
We have new numbers this year that are 4 inches high by 5 inches wide and are made of removable adhesive paper. You can bring a plate to hold your number from home, or there will be materials (cardboard, zip ties, etc.) for you to use to secure your number at the race.
Note: If you’re a regular Fun Day Racer, you can request a permanent number from 10 to 110 and create your own number plate if you want. Just let us know ahead of time!
* * * * * *
- Helmets must be worn at all times while riding on the track and in the parking lot.
- You must be signed up and have your number (or “T” for track try-out) before you can warm-up on the track.
Our track mantra is “if slow, keep low”; i.e., slower bikes keep to the lower side of the track. Faster bikes can only pass on the RIGHT (above) the slower bikes. This is a safety issue since passing a slower bike on the inside can force that bike into the path of faster bikes. Repeat violations will cause you to be flagged off the track immediately.
Directions to Track: 101 Freeway to Hellyer Park Avenue, If coming from the South turn left on Hellyer; If coming from the North turn right onto Hellyer. Enter Parking Kiosk area and follow signs to Velodrome.
Directions to Back A Yard Caribbean Grill from Velodrome: There are two options, all about 3 miles in distance –
- Via Freeway: Take 101 Freeway North to Capitol Expressway, Exit 382. Use left two lanes to turn onto Capitol Expressway. Turn right after Denny’s onto Tuers Road.
- Via local streets: Turn Right on Hellyer, Right on Senter, and Right onto Capitol Expressway. Turn Left on Tuers Road (at Dennys).
- Back A Yard is a small place located near The UPS Store and Round Table Pizza.