When: Sunday, May 1st 2022
Where: Hellyer Park Velodrome, San Jose, CA.
Registration starts at 11:00 a.m. and ends at noon. Please complete your Entry and Waiver forms online or soon after 11 am Sunday morning so we can start on time! The Registration Table will be in the parking lot near the main entrance to the Velodrome (not at the back gate this year).
Racing begins around 12:30-1 p.m. and ends around 4-4:30 pm
The annual HPV Fun Day at Hellyer Park Velodrome has been held for over 26 years. The racing can be fast, but the emphasis is on fun! All types of bikes are welcome except 1) mountain bikes, 2) bikes with no brakes and 3) motorcycles of any kind. Electric bikes can compete in the 200 meters and their own race if there are 3 or more of you.
- We encourage women and junior riders to experiment with racing in a comfortable, welcoming environment!
- Newcomers are encouraged to join us and start with two low-stress events, the timed 200 meters and the Newcomers Race.
- Want to experience riding on a velodrome without racing? We have a “Track Tryout” program for $15. You can ride the track before and between races (helmet required).
- Bring a friend! Participation has been low the past few years. Since the velodrome costs $425 to rent for the afternoon, we need more people to keep the per-person cost affordable. Please talk about the event to your recumbent friends and let them know it’s a lot of fun that they are missing!
Questions? Contact Carole Leone at email@example.com.
- 200 meters – one run per person/bike combination.
- Juniors Race (under age 14) – 3 laps.
- Newcomers Race – 4 laps – Open to people who haven’t entered a Fun Day race before.
- Miss and Out Race- Two heats based on 200 meter times.
- Other fun races that people come up with (i.e., velomobile pursuit, geriatric race, etc.)
- 1/2 hour Race (all categories)
If you want to propose a race, contact Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org
Costs (per rider)
- $15…Students and Juniors under age 14;
- $15…to just ride on the track between races
- $6… Parking: Pay for parking at the kiosk, as you enter the park.
There are no concessions at the park. Plan to bring your own food and water.
The Velodrome now requires that everyone complete 4 waiver forms. These forms are available online at http://email@example.com (See “Rider Info” pull-down menu). You need to complete the online forms by Mid-April to be on their list. There is no charge for the waiver forms and no problem if you can’t come to the races.
If you don’t complete the waiver forms online, you can print them out and bring them with you (to save time at registration). All forms will also be available at the velodrome.
Race Entry Form: It will speed things up a lot if you bring your completed HPV Fun Day Entry Form with you! E-mail Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org for a pdf copy of the Entry Form.
* * * * * *
1) Helmets must be worn at all times while in the parking lot and riding on the track.
2) You must have completed the Fun Day Entry Form and 4 Waiver forms (either online or on paper) before you can be on the track.
3) You must have your number (or “T” for track try-out) before you can be on the track.
4) Our HPV track mantra is “if slow, keep low”; i.e., slower bikes keep to the lower side of the track. Faster bikes can only pass on the RIGHT (above) the slower bikes. This is a safety issue since passing a slower bike on the inside can force that bike into the path of faster bikes. Repeat violators will be flagged off the track immediately.
o You’ll receive a race number for each bike you will be riding (no extra charge for more than one bike). Numbers must be placed on the LEFT SIDE of the bike, preferably at the rear of the bike.
o Race officials must be able to see the number from the infield. Except for Track Try-out stickers, we don’t permit numbers on helmets because for scoring purposes, the lap counters will be looking at the bike, not the rider.
o The numbers are 4 inches high by 5 inches wide, made of removable adhesive paper. You can bring something from home to hold your number, or there will be materials (cardboard, zip ties, etc.) to use to secure your number at the race.
Directions to Track
Take 101 Freeway to Hellyer Park Avenue. If coming from the South turn left on Hellyer; If coming from the North turn right onto Hellyer. Enter Parking Kiosk area, pay for parking and follow signs to Velodrome.
After the Race
There’s a no-host get-together immediately after the races at ‘Back A Yard Caribbean Grill’, 1101 Capital Expressway, South San Jose. Take 101 Freeway North to Capitol Expressway, Exit 382. Use left two lanes to turn onto Capitol Expressway. Turn right after Denny’s onto Tuers Road. Back A Yard is a small place located near The UPS Store and Round Table Pizza